The settlement was mentioned for the first time in 1341 as an estate of the Patriarch of Acquileia. Later it was ruled by the nobility of Kršan and Lupoglav, bishops of Pićan and the captains of Pazin. This fortified village was located above today’s village, on a hill Stari Novaki that offers a beautiful sight on the surrounding area. The old settlement was destroyed in several wars during the 16th and 17th century after which the new village was built on today’s location. An old chapel on the hill is the only thing that testifies of the old settlement. The village of today is dominated by the parish church dedicated to St. Ulrich, a bishop from Augsburga. Both the church and the 25 meters high tower were built in the 17th century. The church consists of a sanctuary and four chapels, with a marble altar each. The main altar presents the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Ulrich and an unknown soldier. Mario Schergat, born in Zajerci, but lived and worked in Venice, painted the altar picture of St. Sebastian. 
 
On the road that connects Cerovlje and Pazin is a little church of St. Rocco, the protector against plague. The Church was built in the 15th century, and Maria Creglia painted the altar picture.
 
Fishing
There are several ponds close to the village. They are the best known and the richest fishing waters in central Istria. Sport and fishing society Pazinčica looks after the sight. During April and May, fishing is allowed on weekends and for holidays, and from June to December, it is allowed to fish every day.
Daily fishing licenses are issued in the tavern Lori in Pazinski Novaki and in the tavern Štacion in Cerovlje. You are allowed to fish one noble fish (carp, pike, gras carp and tench) and 2 kilograms of white fish (Prussian carp, roach, bullhead and chub).
 
Walking

A walking trail that connects the trail Zelengrad in Pazin and the trail of St. Simon in Gračišće goes through Pazinski Novaki. The train station can be the landmark for the walkers. From that point to the west, the trail goes towards Brhaji, a village near Pazin, and to the east, the trail goes towards Gračišće. 

Walking along the villages’ Ćusi, Šegari and Marečići, the trail leads through the hilly scenery to Škljonki and offers views on the mountain Učka and the valley under it.

In 1942, at the time of the Second World War, the first organisation of the Communist Party was founded in the village Marečići.